New Tool- Substance Painter File Manager



I've added a new tool to my Gumroad store- a Substance Painter file manager to help browse larger projects.




Writing the tool was interesting- it took a while to find my way around some of the more advanced ideas in QML but I was pretty happy with how well it ties into the default Substance Painter GUI, as well as the examples contained in the default Painter installation directory.

If you want to see some examples of Substance's use of QML take a browse through your C:/Program Files/Allegorithmic/Substance Painter/qml/ directory. These are a fantastic resource, and it's great to see them included and accessible.

The Painter Javascript API is still very limited. A friend suggested I write the tool in the new Python API but I just missed the boat on that, with the majority of work already done prior to the release (I only have so much midnight oil to burn). To access the operating system and file information, I wrote a simple file browser utility in C++ and used the JS API to bridge it with the QML user facing GUI.

The cool thing about this approach (as heavy handed as it is) is that it massively opens up the options available to you in terms of OS operations, while at the same time keeping the compiled program really tiny (53kb) and removing worries about correct Python configurations.

That being said, I totally want to see what's available in the new Python API to see what kind of time saving tools I can provide to the content creators.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?